Understand that you…
- are nothing without your people, your team.
- cannot be everybody’s friend.
- are now one of ‘they’ (…as in ‘management’). Your teams will look to you for direction, give it to them, whether ‘they’ have given you any or not.
- should have fun. Just because you’ve become a manager does not mean you should take yourself too seriously.
- should not be afraid to ask questions, ask for help, even from your team. Admitting some vulnerability can lend to your credibility.
- remember you set the example.